Friday, October 3, 2008

Week #6, Post#3 - Understanding Conversation

Converstation means something more to me, than the average person. I work at a large hotel, and in my position, must make conversation with our guests everyday. In a single month, we register almost 7,000 guests, so I probably individual speak to about 1,000 complete strangers. The conversation for me, is often based on gauging who and what that person represents in my 3 minutes or so that I conversate with that person. I obviously don't often know if my judgement regarding the person was true to his or her life, and did not use the judgement in any way. I found that most guest do seemingly fit into a mold, and that was dictated by the conversation piece we spoke of, how excited/shy the person seemed, nonverbal cues, such as staying on a cell phone during check-in, and a slew of other communication factors. It was very interesting to see the impact of such literature, to make me think back to my real world experience.

No comments: