Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Pathos

I think of the priest at St. Joseph's Church in Downtown San Jose, as being a speaker that I admire. He does qualify in the pathos qualification by Aristotle. He appeals to the entire church to believe in something they cannot physically feel, touch, see, or smell. Yet with this is able to get the whole group back every Sunday to listen to him, and believe in what he is saying. I personally use a logos mode of persuasion, as I tend to believe in more logical things myself, thus would identify myself accordingly. For example, if I am trying to persuade one of my employees to work a graveyard shift, I would emphasize the increase in pay, decrease in work, and downplay the fact that they would have to stay awake all night, and there is no manager on duty.

-Daron

2 comments:

Annabo said...

Great post, Daron! I think religion is something that would use pathos frequently. Through music or bible study, people have faith in a being that they cannot see. But as you said, this priest is able to persuade the members of the church to the point that they attend worship regularly. Using logos is probably not my strongest tactic in persuasion, but based on what you said it seems extremely successful. When you point out the positives and perks, the audience may be so excited about that that they forget about anything negative in the deal.

LicizPieciz said...

I completely agree about your insight on priests. I too wrote about the same thing in terms of how churches need preachers who can really grasp the attention of the congregation. And on a public standpoint a good speaker needs to be able to catch the attention of the audience in a way that is credible and trustworthy. When a speaker holds all three logos, pathos, and eros that Aristotle has theorized. I have found this to be true by personal experience and from the lives of others who believe that religion needs a speaker that is able to explain their insight in a way that persuades and explains in detail how or what they are trying to address to the larger whole. Im happy to hear that someone understands my insight and is able to stand on the same page as how i think.